Arthritis is a kind of disease in which a person’s joints, the tissues which are present around those joints and some of the other connective tissues get affected. Approximately more than hundreds of diseases come under the category of arthritis. Thus, the symptoms can differ from disease to disease as well. More often than not the symptoms of arthritis include pain and a kind of stiffness that an individual feels around his/her joints or tissues or the pain or stiffness could be in the joints or tissues itself too. Some of the diseases which come under the category of arthritis will be mentioned in the following article.
Kinds of Arthritis
Arthritis has different types. Some of them we have mentioned in the following.
- Osteoarthritis: A kind of disease which affects the joints of knees, hips or hands.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: A kind of disease which affects the joints of hands, wrists, and knees.
- Fibromyalgia: A kind of disease which can induce pain in all over the body.
- Gout: A kind of disease in which the joint of the big toe gets affected.
Around 30 million people in the US get affected by Osteoarthritis. In Osteoarthritis, people normally experience it because of the breakage of the cartilage and the bones that are present within the bones. Osteoarthritis doesn’t develop overnight. It actually happens gradually and starts affecting the bones which result in pain, stiffness, and swelling of the joints.
What are the risk factors for Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis can result because of a number of reasons. Some of them include:
- Repetitively putting stress and bending the joints of knees or of hips or hands etc.
- Another factor in developing osteoarthritis is aging. Individuals who start aging are likely to develop osteoarthritis. Especially women after 50 are more vulnerable to osteoarthritis.
- Obesity is also another risk factor because having fat in one’s body increases the chances of stress being put on the joints of knees, hands or hips.
It is recommended to add physical activity along with the therapy of muscles for treating osteoarthritis. Losing weight can help too. Seek medical assistance before opting for any other treatment.
In rheumatoid arthritis, the healthy cells of the body get attacked by the immune system by the fault. The lines of the joints in rheumatoid arthritis get inflamed. Because of rheumatoid, organs such as the lungs, heart or eyes can get affected.
Risks of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The factors which can cause Rheumatoid arthritis are as follows:
- People who smoke are more at the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Women who have never given birth before are also at the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Obesity is also amongst one of the causes of rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid can be treated via using medications. Rheumatoid can also be prevented in women who breastfeed their children.
Such a condition causes pain all over the body. This can cause a number of problems. This can cause a person to suffer from problems with sleep, fatigue and this can cause an individual with emotional and mental distress as well. More than 4 million people get affected in the US because of fibromyalgia.
Exercises that strengthen the muscles as well as implementing the techniques which can reduce stress.
Gout causes intense pain in the big toe. This causes a person pain, swells the joints and causes redness. Gout is normally caused because of the presence of excessive uric acid in the body.
Treatment of gout includes bringing some change to one’s lifestyle such as changing one’s diet. Try to avoid forming stones of the kidney which can result because of excessive uric acid present in the body.