fbpx
Research

Early occurrence of prodrome period become helpful as a biomarker for the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease

An innovative and revolutionary presentation about research emerging from the XXIV World Congress of Neurology (WCN 2019) makes the headlines today. The research was about Parkinson’s disease to highlight the new advances in this field. This study was presented in the DUBIA, UAE by the World Federation of Neurology on Nov 19, 2019.

The World Federation of Neurology has the goal of improving the neurology and health of the brain throughout the world. This would be done by giving the neurological education and training in the low resourced areas. The WFN includes 120 members from the different neurological societies at the global level. This organization also involved in spreading the results of research that are capable to bring improvements in the field of neurology. To learn more about the WFN click here.

According to the prof. Patrik Brundin, the director of the Center for Neurodegenerative Science at Van Andel Institute that the purpose latest research about Parkinson’s disease is to properly understand the mechanism of the disease. Scientists found the early occurrence of the prodrome period in the patients of Parkinson’s disease. The previous results or diagnosis showed that it took years or decades to develop Parkinson’s disease before the onset of motor symptoms. This is more conflicting to the recent research.

The early prodrome period includes the following signs and symptoms such as constipation, a disorder in REM sleep behavior, depression anxiety, excessive daytime sleepiness, and hyposmia.

Brundin gave Fulton Award lecture honoree in this year. The title of Fulton Award lecture is “The Battle to Beat Parkinson’s.” Prof. Brundin discussed the idea of using the early occurrence of signs and symptoms as a biomarker in the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease before time. This will increase the options for the treatment of the disease.

Also read- Can coffee prevent Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s?

Prof. Brundin added his words that this disease would be considered as quantum leap 15-20 years ago but this research provides many innovative things about Parkinson’s disease first time in history.

It is trying to know the right mechanism and exact time of occurrence of disease in the persons to develop the broader treatment options for the patients. Through a rough estimation, 10% cases emerged due to the genetic mutations while the remaining 90% cases had a history of sporadic causes and might be due to the environmental factors, genetic predisposition, and some lifestyle habits.

Many clinical trials are carried out to test the new therapies for the better and early cure of the disease. These include nerve blockers, vaccinations, and surgeries. Other clinical trials are being done to test the GLP-1related therapeutic approaches, alpha-synuclein-related approaches, anti-inflammatory approaches, mitochondrial therapeutic approaches, and iron chaperone approaches.

Prof. Brundin added more than to find the treatment options for restoring the lost function in the patients with advanced stages we must do more research in the field of genetic engineering to transplant the nerve cells from the stem cells. The clinical trials are at the beginning stage to carry out the successful treatment.

The world federation of neurology has the goal of improving the neurology and health of the brain throughout the world. This would be done by giving the neurological education and training in the low resourced areas. The WFN includes 120 members from the different neurological societies at the global level. This organization also involved in spreading the results of research that are capable to bring improvements in the field of neurology. To learn more about the WFN click here.

 

Areeba Hussain

Areeba is an independent medical and healthcare writer. For the last three years, she is writing for Tophealthjournal. Her prime areas of interest are diseases, medicine, treatments, and alternative therapies. Twitter @Areeba94789300

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker
0 Shares
Share
Tweet
Pin