Everybody desires to live a healthy life. A life which is void of diseases or a life where people are less vulnerable to chronic illnesses. Among all such desires, many of us also dream of living a cholesterol-free life or at least we desire to be amongst those who can live with consuming as less cholesterol as possible. And the reason is obvious, everyone desires to avoid obesity and the diseases that accompany obesity.
But, the real question is, is it possible to live a life with zero consumption of cholesterol or with zero consumption of medicines or drugs which have to be taken as a result of high cholesterol?
The answer is, yes. It’s all possible. As per a research, a person can live a healthy life by opting for a controlled diet. As in, if an individual starts opting for food that contains less cholesterol then there are chances that opting for such food will reduce the cholesterol level in the body of that individual.
But, what are those foods which can help in reducing cholesterol? We are going to name them in the following. Some of these foods contain polyunsaturated fats which help in the reduction of cholesterol directly. Other foods contain plant sterols and stanols which refrains the body from absorbing cholesterol.
Foods Which Help in Reducing Cholesterol
Below are mentioned 11 kinds of foods which you can include in your regular diet in order to have some cholesterol-free diet.
- Oats can help in the reduction of cholesterol. Oats contain fibers in them. It is recommended to have 20 to 25 grams of fiber in a day. Having a bowl of oats along with some fruits can fulfill approximately 1 to 2 grams of fiber.
- Barley and whole grains are the other food which helps in reducing cholesterol level. Just like Oats, Barley and Whole grains also contain soluble fibers which help in preventing diseases of the heart.
- Beans also help in reducing cholesterol. Because of its versatility, any sort of beans can be used- from lentils to kidney beans or black-eyed peas. Beans are helpful for those as well who are trying to lose weight.
- Eggplant and Okra because of having fewer calories are also helpful in reducing cholesterol. Both of these have low calories and are also soluble fibers.
- Nuts can be helpful in preventing the diseases of heart as well. Having an ounce a day can help a bit in lowering the low-density lipoprotein. Only having 5% of Nuts can help in protecting the heart as well because of the other nutrients which are present in it.
- Vegetable Oils are another source which contains low-level cholesterol. Thus, instead of using butter or lard etc, canola oil or safflower can help in decreasing low-density lipoprotein.
- Fruits like apples, grapes, strawberries or citrus Because of being rich in pectin, also called a soluble gelatinous polysaccharide, this also helps in reducing cholesterol.
- Foods which constitute sterols and stanols: These are taken and extracted from the gums of the plants. Taking them can actually help in reducing the cholesterol by 10%. In fact, some of the companies actually use them in their chocolates, orange juices, and margarine.
- Eating Soy: Just by having about 25 grams of soy protein can help you in reducing about 5% to 6% of lower density lipoprotein.
- Inculcating fish: By inculcating and eating fish in your diet for at least two to three times a week, Omega-3s helps in reducing the triglycerides in the bloodstream. Omega-3s in the fish also helps in having irregular heartbeat rhythms.
- Using supplements which contain fibers: Supplements are another way of having fibers in the food. Supplements like psyllium can provide about 4 grams of soluble fibers.