It is sugar not fats that damages our heart, Researches claim

It is a common misconception that fats, of any kind, are not good for the health. It is believed that fats clog up the vessels in the body promoting higher risks of heart attack, weight gain, stroke etc. However, science clearly differentiates fats between two different classes.

  1. Good or healthy fats
  2. Bad or unhealthy fats

Good fats promote health and well being of an individual, however, bad fats are actually responsible for the typical adverse effects attributed to the excessive consumption of fat.

A new paper states that fat consumption being accused of anti-health properties is totally wrong. The authors suggest that minimizing the consumption of saturated fats cannot be the only solution to the problems; people need to walk more often, minimize stress, and eat more “real” foods instead of artificially processed ones to lower the risks of heart diseases. The paper reveals that refined carbohydrates and not fats are what lead to heart diseases.

Similarly, studies from the researchers of Indiana University School of Medicine also blame sugar, not fat, for weight gain. The research was based upon a series of experiments conducted upon people who were divide into two groups.

The participants of one group followed a low-fat weight loss diet and the other group’s members were subjected to a high-fat but low- carbohydrate diet. The results showed that the group of people who followed a diet that’s high in fat but low in refined carbohydrates lost weight and even gained added health benefits in the process. However, the people with a low-fat diet did not exhibit any significant weight loss.

Moreover, another study was conducted upon adult rats in order to evaluate the effects of dietary sugar and that of dietary fats on the health of the rats. It was reported that a long-term ingestion of a sugar-rich diet promoted severe obesity in the rats.

Similarly, avocados due to their high-fat content have been mistaken to promote health-related issues, however; studies indicate that the avocado could be one of the best food ingredients in a diet that can plausibly promote a healthy heart and a flat tummy.

Avocado is a highly nutritious fruit considered a complete package of health-promoting ingredients. Aside from its high-fat content, avocado is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and a range of phytochemicals. All of them collectively contribute to the avocado’s many health benefits, especially relating to your heart.

A number of past studies indicate that eating avocados don’t raise the level of bad cholesterol in our body. In addition, it was reported not to cause weight gain. Its health benefits are comparable to the low-calorie superfoods in our diet like walnuts, almonds, and pistachios because of the following content,


The vitamin-B content of the avocados maximizes the ability of our body to utilize carbohydrates for energy purposes. However, it must be noted that specific B-vitamins, such as pyridoxine (B6) and folate (B9), help regulate the amount of homocysteine in our body. Homocysteine has been linked to the formation of vascular plaque that characterizes atherosclerosis, a common cause of heart attacks.


Being the most abundant nutrient in avocados, potassium promotes a healthy heart due to the hypotensive qualities it owns. It helps to lower and normalize your blood pressure.

Dietary fiber

80% of the avocado’s carbohydrate content comprises of fiber. About 70 percent of which is roughage, known as insoluble fiber. It aids in maintaining proper digestion and acts as prebiotic promoting healthy bacteria in the gut. The remaining 30 percent is soluble in nature. It helps with the inhibition of the absorption of “bad” cholesterol which may otherwise contribute to heart attacks.


Avocados have antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthine. They are beneficial for your eyes. It also contains vitamins C and E. Antioxidants,

  • Fight free radicals
  • Prevent oxidative damage of the cells

Oxidative damage exerts stress on the healthy working of the body thus it can lead to heart issues.

Further studies could be consulted at the following link,



Areeba Hussain

Areeba is an independent medical and healthcare writer. For the last three years, she is writing for Tophealthjournal. Her prime areas of interest are diseases, medicine, treatments, and alternative therapies. Twitter @Areeba94789300

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker